not able to install opofile on ubuntu 16.06
Diego Avesani
2016-09-28 08:27:56 UTC
Dear all,
I am trying to install oprifile on ubuntu. Infortunately, I have some
problem:
I have downloaded oprofile, then I have run:

./configure

and this is the message that I got:

*checking libiberty.h usability... no*
*checking libiberty.h presence... no*
*checking for libiberty.h... no*
*checking for cplus_demangle in -liberty... no*
*configure: error: liberty library not found*

How can resolve it?
thanks for all your helps

Diego
William Cohen
2016-09-28 13:50:58 UTC
Post by Diego Avesani
Dear all,
./configure
/checking libiberty.h usability... no/
/checking libiberty.h presence... no/
/checking for libiberty.h... no/
/checking for cplus_demangle in -liberty... no/
/configure: error: liberty library not found/
How can resolve it?
thanks for all your helps
Diego
Hi Diego,

To build oprofile you need to install some additional packages on your system something similar to:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/448101/cant-find-or-install-package-libiberty
https://geekwentfreak-raviteja.rhcloud.com/blog/2012/10/08/installing-and-using-oprofiler-in-ubuntu-12-04/

-Will

Diego Avesani
2016-09-28 14:24:46 UTC
dear all, dear William,

now it seems to work.
Is it possible to know how much memory my program requires?
something like:
total memory required ....

Using *operf ./a.out * and *opreport a.out*

I have this results:

*CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge microarchitecture, speed 3500 MHz (estimated)*
*Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Clock cycles when not halted) with a unit
mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 100000*
*CPU_CLK_UNHALT...|*
* samples| %|*
*------------------*
* 98 100.000 a.out*
* CPU_CLK_UNHALT...|*
* samples| %|*
* ------------------*
* 35 35.7143 libgfortran.so.3.0.0*
* 28 28.5714 no-vmlinux*
* 28 28.5714 libc-2.23.so <http://libc-2.23.so>*
* 5 5.1020 ld-2.23.so <http://ld-2.23.so>*
* 2 2.0408 a.out*

Really Really thanks

Diego

Diego
-Will
William Cohen
2016-09-28 14:40:45 UTC
Post by Diego Avesani
dear all, dear William,
now it seems to work.
Is it possible to know how much memory my program requires?
total memory required ....
Oprofile does statistical sampling on a program to find out where the process spends times or where cache misses occur. oprofile is not going to show memory use. You might use the valgrind too massif (http://valgrind.org/) to get information about memory use.

-Will
Post by Diego Avesani
Using /operf ./a.out / and /opreport a.out/
/
/
/CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge microarchitecture, speed 3500 MHz (estimated)/
/Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Clock cycles when not halted) with a unit mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 100000/
/CPU_CLK_UNHALT...|/
/ samples| %|/
/------------------/
/ 98 100.000 a.out/
/CPU_CLK_UNHALT...|/
/ samples| %|/
/------------------/
/ 35 35.7143 libgfortran.so.3.0.0/
/ 28 28.5714 no-vmlinux/
/ 28 28.5714 libc-2.23.so <http://libc-2.23.so>/
/ 5 5.1020 ld-2.23.so <http://ld-2.23.so>/
/ 2 2.0408 a.out/
Really Really thanks
Diego
Diego
Post by Diego Avesani
Dear all,
./configure
/checking libiberty.h usability... no/
/checking libiberty.h presence... no/
/checking for libiberty.h... no/
/checking for cplus_demangle in -liberty... no/
/configure: error: liberty library not found/
How can resolve it?
thanks for all your helps
Diego
Hi Diego,
http://askubuntu.com/questions/448101/cant-find-or-install-package-libiberty <http://askubuntu.com/questions/448101/cant-find-or-install-package-libiberty>
https://geekwentfreak-raviteja.rhcloud.com/blog/2012/10/08/installing-and-using-oprofiler-in-ubuntu-12-04/ <https://geekwentfreak-raviteja.rhcloud.com/blog/2012/10/08/installing-and-using-oprofiler-in-ubuntu-12-04/>
-Will