Intel Goldmont default event
Michael Petlan
2016-09-23 11:35:54 UTC
Hi all,

when testing oprofile on an Intel Goldmont machine, I have found out
that the default event cpu_clk_unhalted returns always zero. Thus, I
checked the configuration and Intel SDM, and I think there must be a
mistake.

According to the Intel SDM, table 19-24, the event is 0x3c as usual.
It has two unit masks (0x00 (core_p) and 0x01 (ref)). With this, the
event starts giving reasonable results.

The current configuration which is coded in oprofile is not even in
the SDM tale 19-24, so it is expectable that the following will give
zero value:

perf stat -e cpu/event=0x00,umask=0x02/ ls

Please consider applying the attached patch.

CC'ing Andi to verify the fix.

Thank you,
Michael
Andi Kleen
2016-09-23 17:10:42 UTC
Post by Michael Petlan
Hi all,
when testing oprofile on an Intel Goldmont machine, I have found out
that the default event cpu_clk_unhalted returns always zero. Thus, I
checked the configuration and Intel SDM, and I think there must be a
mistake.
According to the Intel SDM, table 19-24, the event is 0x3c as usual.
It has two unit masks (0x00 (core_p) and 0x01 (ref)). With this, the
event starts giving reasonable results.
The current configuration which is coded in oprofile is not even in
the SDM tale 19-24, so it is expectable that the following will give
perf stat -e cpu/event=0x00,umask=0x02/ ls
Please consider applying the attached patch.
Looks good. Thanks for fixing.

-Andi

William Cohen
2016-09-23 18:14:57 UTC
Post by Andi Kleen
Post by Michael Petlan
Hi all,
when testing oprofile on an Intel Goldmont machine, I have found out
that the default event cpu_clk_unhalted returns always zero. Thus, I
checked the configuration and Intel SDM, and I think there must be a
mistake.
According to the Intel SDM, table 19-24, the event is 0x3c as usual.
It has two unit masks (0x00 (core_p) and 0x01 (ref)). With this, the
event starts giving reasonable results.
The current configuration which is coded in oprofile is not even in
the SDM tale 19-24, so it is expectable that the following will give
perf stat -e cpu/event=0x00,umask=0x02/ ls
Please consider applying the attached patch.
Looks good. Thanks for fixing.
-Andi
Thanks Michael and Andi,

The patch for the goldmont default event has been applied to the upstream oprofile.

-Will