Help in removing Oprofile
Shiva M
2017-01-31 10:58:46 UTC
Hi All,

I have build Oprofile from source on my system. Oprofile is workng fine. I
have not specified any installation directory while building Oprofile, it
installed to default directories.

We have one ts/ package which was building fine before. Atter installign
Oprofile on my system, I see

[0m/usr/bin/ld: ../libscul.a(scul_sslcompat.c.o): undefined reference to
symbol 'dlsym@@GLIBC_2.2.5'

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from
command line

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make[2]: *** [source/scul/selftests/scul_asn1_test] Error 1

make[1]: *** [source/scul/selftests/CMakeFiles/scul_asn1_test.dir/all]
Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help would be appreciated.

I want to remove Oprofile and re-install on specific install directory

Thanks,

Shiva
William Cohen
2017-01-31 16:37:12 UTC
Post by Shiva M
Hi All,
I have build Oprofile from source on my system. Oprofile is workng fine. I have not specified any installation directory while building Oprofile, it installed to default directories.
We have one ts/ package which was building fine before. Atter installign Oprofile on my system, I see
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [source/scul/selftests/scul_asn1_test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [source/scul/selftests/CMakeFiles/scul_asn1_test.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Any help would be appreciated.
I want to remove Oprofile and re-install on specific install directory
Thanks,
Shiva
Hi Shiva,

It is unlikely that oprofile is causing the build with the other package. Was there anything else changed in the sources or system? OProfile does install some additional librarys, but it is unlikely to significantly affect libraries for other things. If the software that is having this problem is in a git repository you might try to check out earlier versions and see if a specific patch is causing this problem.

By default oprofile should install things in /usr/local/bin/ (o* commands), /usr/local/share/oprofile/, and /usr/local/lib/oprofile. If you still have the oprofile build directory that installed them, then you should as root be able to the following as root to remove the oprofile installed files:

make uninstall

-Will
Shiva M
2017-02-01 17:04:58 UTC
Hi William,

Thanks a ton for your response. I have found the cause of my issue, after
adding -ldl to other packages, build went through fine. I tried doing make
uninstall to give a try to uninstall Oprofile and re-install but its not
working. I have deleted Oprofile package directory after building, I
downloaded again and tried make uninstall but that not worked.

Thanks,
Shiva
-Will
William Cohen
2017-02-01 17:13:52 UTC
Post by Shiva M
Hi William,
Thanks a ton for your response. I have found the cause of my issue, after adding -ldl to other packages, build went through fine. I tried doing make uninstall to give a try to uninstall Oprofile and re-install but its not working. I have deleted Oprofile package directory after building, I downloaded again and tried make uninstall but that not worked.
Thanks,
Shiva
Hi Shiva,

How exactly did "make uninstall" no work? Keep in mind that oprofile needs to be configured for "make uninstall" to work.

-Will
-Will
Shiva M
2017-02-01 17:17:22 UTC
Hi William,

Also, I have built Oprofile as part of rootfs. My linux version is 2.6.38,
but Oprofile is not running on my target machine.

I see the following :
modprobe: chdir(/lib/modules): No such file or directory
Kernel doesn't support oprofile

I have enabled CONFIG_OPROFILE as part of .config, downloaded and built
popt/, binutils/ and Oprofile. Built went successfully but opcontrol is not
working. Can you please help what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Shiva
-Will
William Cohen
2017-02-01 17:26:57 UTC
Post by Shiva M
Hi William,
Also, I have built Oprofile as part of rootfs. My linux version is 2.6.38, but Oprofile is not running on my target machine.
modprobe: chdir(/lib/modules): No such file or directory
Kernel doesn't support oprofile
I have enabled CONFIG_OPROFILE as part of .config, downloaded and built popt/, binutils/ and Oprofile. Built went successfully but opcontrol is not working. Can you please help what I am doing wrong.
Thanks,
Shiva
Hi Shiva,

Which specific version of oprofile are you building? Newer versions of oprofile since 0.9.8 have used the kernels perf infrastructure to collect data. Kernels sinces 2.6.32 have provided the perf systemcall. Depending how your kernel is built it may or may not have the oprofile driver built. I know that we disabled (kernel CONFIG_OPROFILE is not set for the kernel builds) in in more recent versions of Fedora because the newer versions of oprofile did not use it and opcontrol was removed. One should be using operf instead to collect data.

-Will
-Will
Shiva M
2017-02-01 17:43:54 UTC
Hi Will,

I am using Oprofile 0.9.9. I tried with Oprofile-1.0.0 but later I found
kernel CPU counters were not supported. Shall I try with Oprofile-0.9.7?. I
did following to build Oprofile

Oprofile-0.9.9>./configure --enable-static --with-kernel-support
--prefix=/home/shiva/usr
sudo make
make install
DESTDIR="/home/shiva/user"

Thanks,
Shiva
Post by Shiva M
Hi William,
Thanks a ton for your response. I have found the cause of my issue,
after adding -ldl to other packages, build went through fine. I tried
doing make uninstall to give a try to uninstall Oprofile and re-install but
its not working. I have deleted Oprofile package directory after building,
I downloaded again and tried make uninstall but that not worked.
Post by Shiva M
Thanks,
Shiva
Post by Shiva M
By default oprofile should install things in /usr/local/bin/ (o*
commands), /usr/local/share/oprofile/, and /usr/local/lib/oprofile. If you
still have the oprofile build directory that installed them, then you
should as root be able to the following as root to remove the oprofile
Post by Shiva M
make uninstall
-Will
William Cohen
2017-02-01 20:29:09 UTC
Post by Shiva M
Hi Will,
I am using Oprofile 0.9.9. I tried with Oprofile-1.0.0 but later I found kernel CPU counters were not supported. Shall I try with Oprofile-0.9.7?. I did following to build Oprofile
Oprofile-0.9.9>./configure --enable-static --with-kernel-support --prefix=/home/shiva/usr
sudo make
make install
DESTDIR="/home/shiva/user"
Thanks,
Shiva
Hi Shiva,

opcontrol was removed from oprofile-1.0.0, so the kernel will need to be built with CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS=y in the .config file to use oprofile-1.0.0. You might check to see if the kernel perf infrastructure works with command "perf stat true". I have used that in the past to determine whether the problem is in oprofile or in the kernel. If it works oprofile is the problem, if that perf command is broken then need to look at the kernel. Is the kernel built with the oprofile driver (CONFIG_OPROFILE=m? If not opcontrol won't work. Another thing to keep in mind is that some newer processors might not be recognized by the oprofile driver. I would encourage you to use the oprofile perf interface with operf rather than the opcontrol interface.

When things fail it would be helpful to include the specific error messages in the dicussion to better diagnose the reason for the failure.

-Will
Shiva M
2017-02-03 12:43:21 UTC
Hi Will,

Thank you and Sorry for delayed response. I have enabled
CONFIG_HAVE_PERF_EVENTS=y. I Forgot to mention, Oprofile I am trying to
bring up on KVM virtual machine. If I build on physical server,
oprofile-1.0.0 is working fine. And I can connect to running process for
profiling. But If I build oprofle-1.0.0 on KVM VM, I see

"Your kernel's Performance Events Subsystem does not support your processor
type.
Please use the opcontrol command instead of operf."

Then I tried with Oprofile-0.9.9, I see opcontrol command works, I want to
connect to running process for profilng.

Let me know if I am doing anything wrong. I saw opcontrol options, but I
couldn't see to connect to running process.

Thanks,
Shiva
-Will
William Cohen
2017-02-03 15:03:15 UTC
Post by Shiva M
Hi Will,
Thank you and Sorry for delayed response. I have enabled CONFIG_HAVE_PERF_EVENTS=y. I Forgot to mention, Oprofile I am trying to bring up on KVM virtual machine. If I build on physical server, oprofile-1.0.0 is working fine. And I can connect to running process for profiling. But If I build oprofle-1.0.0 on KVM VM, I see
"Your kernel's Performance Events Subsystem does not support your processor type.
Please use the opcontrol command instead of operf."
Then I tried with Oprofile-0.9.9, I see opcontrol command works, I want to connect to running process for profilng.
Let me know if I am doing anything wrong. I saw opcontrol options, but I couldn't see to connect to running process.
Thanks,
Shiva
Hi Shiva,

Running oprofile inside a kvm guest is possible in some cases on x86 machine. However, the host need to be running a newer kernel and the guest vm needs to set to the same processor type (cpuid) as the host. I don't know precisely which linux kernel version allowed access to the performance monitoring hardware, but I do know that the RHEL6 2.6.32 kernels do not. If the performance monitoring hardware isn't available to perf in the guest machine, then oprofile opcontrol using the performance counters isn't going to either.

If things are setup properly in the guest you should see something like the following in the output of "dmesg|more" for the kvm guest machine:

[ 0.017000] Performance Events: SandyBridge events, Intel PMU driver.
[ 0.017000] core: PEBS disabled due to CPU errata, please upgrade microcode
[ 0.017000] ... version: 2
[ 0.017000] ... bit width: 48
[ 0.017000] ... generic registers: 4
[ 0.017000] ... value mask: 0000ffffffffffff
[ 0.017000] ... max period: 000000007fffffff
[ 0.017000] ... fixed-purpose events: 3
[ 0.017000] ... event mask: 000000070000000f

If the perf counter are set up then should be able to use operf within the guest machine.

-Will
-Will
Michael Petlan
2017-02-03 19:53:48 UTC
Hi Shiva,

in order to enable PMU on a QEMU/KVM guest, do the following:

1) virsh edit YOUR_MACHINE_NAME

2) add the following snippet to the XML:
<cpu mode='host-passthrough'/>

Of course, if you already have some different CPU setting there,
just replace it by the mentioned one. The important thing there
is the 'host-passthrough'.

3) restart libvirtd and the VM

Then you should be able to use operf/ocount tools there.

Also please note, that older versions of libvirt/qemu might not
support it. I have qemu-kvm-1.5.3-126.el7_3.3.x86_64 and
libvirt-2.0.0-10.el7_3.4.x86_64.

Cheers,
Michael
-Will
Shiva M
2017-02-07 07:20:03 UTC
Hi Will, Michal,

Thanks a ton for your response, it saved lot of my work. After adding <cpu
mode='host-passthrough'/> to my vm xml and doing following :
virsh destroy testvm1
virsh undefine testvm1

virsh define testvm1.xml
virsh start testvm1

restart /etc/init.d/libvirtd-bin restart, solved my problem. Now I see
operf is working. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks,
Shiva
Hi Shiva,