OProfile-1.2.0-rc1
William Cohen
2017-06-19 15:08:20 UTC
There have been a number of improvements checked into the OProfile git repo. It would be good to have those into an official release. I have made a release candidate and it would be good to test this out on various platforms.

RELEASE NOTES:

New features
------------

- New/updated Processor Support
* ARM Cortex A17
* IBM Power 9
* IBM Power 8NV and NVL variants
* IBM z13
* Intel Goldmont
* Intel Kabylake
* Intel Xeon Phi (Knights Landing)
* Achitecture specific events for Applied Micro X-Gene

Bug fixes
---------

Filed bug reports:
|-----------|------------------------------------------------------------
| 286 | Compilation error: left shift of negative value
| 288 | oprofile fails to build with --enable-pch and gcc-6.2

Other bug fixes and improvements without a filed report (e.g., posted to the lis
t):
---------------
- Fixed compile warning and errors when using GCC 6 or GCC 7
- Avoid using deprecated readdir_r function
- Store samples in the archive and search the appropriate places
for samples
- Only start the application if the perf events setup was successful

Known problems and limitations
-------------------------

- When using operf to profile multiple events, the absolute number of
events recorded may be substantially fewer than expected. This can
be due to known bug in the Linux kernel's Performance Events
Subsystem that was fixed sometime between Linux kernel version 3.1
and 3.5.

- Monitoring processes that frequently create and destroy threads via
the "--pid" option can be problematic. The pipes used within operf
and ocount may fill up can cause these programs to hang and require
multiple cntl-C to exit rather than successfully collecting data on
fast spawning processes and children.
William Cohen
2017-06-19 18:57:37 UTC
I downloaded the RC1 tar ball and tested it on IBM Power 7, IBM Power8
big endian, IBM Power 8 little endian. I did some manual tests of a
known workload. I also downloaded and ran the OProfile test suite.
Everything looked fine.
Carl Love
Hi Carl,

Thanks so much testing on power. I also created some fedora rawhide rpms, https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=20066548
Going to try these out on various machine I have access to.

-Will
Post by William Cohen
There have been a number of improvements checked into the OProfile git repo. It would be good to have those into an official release. I have made a release candidate and it would be good to test this out on various platforms.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/oprofile/files/oprofile/oprofile-1.2.0rc1/oprofile-1.2.0rc1.tar.gz/download
New features
------------
|-----------|------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Petlan
2017-06-20 12:09:55 UTC
Hi William,

I have tested this tarball on a Knights Landing and everything looks good,
except that the testsuite still does not contain my KNL patch I guess.

However, even when I applied the patch to the testsuite, I got:
"Native configuration is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"
Is it somehow connected to the testsuite or is that related to the build?
It looks like the events I specified in the testsuite patch for KNL were
used in the test, so I expect it works.

I also ran selected Red Hat tests against it.

Cheers,
Michael
|-----------|------------------------------------------------------------
William Cohen
2017-06-20 14:42:51 UTC
Post by Michael Petlan
Hi William,
I have tested this tarball on a Knights Landing and everything looks good,
except that the testsuite still does not contain my KNL patch I guess.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for testing.

Sorry about the missing Intel KNL oprofile-tests patch. This should be in the upstream oprofile-tests now.
Post by Michael Petlan
"Native configuration is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"
Is it somehow connected to the testsuite or is that related to the build?
It looks like the events I specified in the testsuite patch for KNL were
used in the test, so I expect it works.
The "Native configuration is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu" output appears to be coming from runtest rather than oprofile testing itself. I am also seeing it in the systemtap testsuite output. It looks to be harmless.